Friday, October 23, 2009

The Holy Trinity - or my Crusade Has Ended

Today I was at the grocery store stocking up on stuff for home cooked meals (we made a pact that next week is our healthy week - no junk food and we go to the gym every day) and I ran across the most amazing find - the Trifecta of Halloween Cereals......

....ladies and Gentlemen...I humbly bring you Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Boo Berry.



It's been about 30 years since I've seen these three fellows together. I remember the urban legend that said Boo Berry and Frankenberry were carcinogenic and that they were pulled from the market. In reality, I believe the company couldn't in good conscience continue to sell these kiddie crack cereals (remember, there was a cereal literally called "Sugar Smacks"). The B-F-CC cereals have been seasonal as far as I can tell, but I have not had the pleasure of seeing this most fortunate reunion until today.

I abandoned my cart in the middle of the aisle and began the agonizing process of choosing which of these fine rakes to bring home. I can always get Count Chocula. He has a place on the shelf reserved for him 365 days a year. The other two, however, were a different story. Pink berries or blue? Artifical weapons grade chemical berry, or well....different weapons grade berry?

I did what any devoted follower would do...I purchased them all. They were a steal at $1.88 each. Do you know what a box of Kashi costs these days? It's all cereal, people.

I have to confess, over the past few years I all but gave up my quest, resigned to the sad realization that my boys were gone for good. While I could remain hopeful, I feared in the darkest hours my memory of the three ghouls of the grain were to be just that - a faded memory formed in a 6 year old's mind.

This Halloween is going to be the best....ever.

1 comment: