Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Crazy people scare me

Washington DC is a strange place. I, like others I'm sure, assumed that this was probably one of the most sophisticated and intellectual towns in the country growing up. I think, to some degree, it is - you have a wide array of academics, lobbyists, politicians obviously, think tanks, and really smart policy people (like really smart health policy folks....guess what I do for a living?), but it's also home to some really weird people. I'm not talking quirky, I can deal with quirky - Hell, I'm quirky. I'm talking flat out weird, and not in the endearing sense.

Case in point - yesterday I'm leaving an appointment I had out in the 'burbs and am approached by a woman who asks me if I know how to fill a tire. I figure, she's older, looks distressed, sure, I'll help her. As we are walking throught he wooded area between the office buildings I'm envisioning cadaver dogs finding my body sometime next week, so I decide to let her lead.

We walk up to her beater Dodge pickup truck and as she is dragging over this rusty ass air tank she got from God knows where I'm thinking it's probably the dry rot on these tires that is causing the air to leak, not a vandal as she is so adamantly claiming. Short story - tires barely hold air and as I'm trying to explain that she probably should invest in new tires, she blurts out "well, either it's a bad tank or you didn't do it right. Thanks anyway, I guess." Wait..what? Really lady?

As you can tell from my initial post, I'm two-thirds of the way through a mandatory separation period before my wife and I can file for divorce. During this period we agreed that we could date if we wished. I posted a profile on a popular free dating site on the urging of a friend and started really getting a lot of interest after a few weeks. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Yes, there were the random people that creeped me out a bit, but I was, for the most part, getting some interesting women contacting me. Not being in the dating scene for 16 years, I figured, hey, this is encouraging. I decided that I would go out on a few dates. Worst case, I get a friend out of it right?

First date...the woman tells me she's a single mother. No problem. I'm a single dad. I didn't realize she meant she was a single mother AS OF THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE DATE! She shows up with a 3 week old infant...to the date.

Second date...woman shows up drunk...to a lunch date...during the work week. Date over.

Third date...woman is older, 42, I think and proceeds to explain to me ever terrible thing her ex did and how she likes to go out on double dates with her 20 year old son. Ummm.....yeah...no.

And there were plenty others. I really figured I'd have a good time with this one girl on June 20th, but that it really wouldn't go much further. She seemed cool and I figured she's an outdoorsy kinda person, we could totally do stuff like that as friends.

....we've been together 4 months now and it keeps getting better.

2 comments:

  1. The one thing (or two or three or twenty) that's missing from this musing is what YOU have done to make people think that YOU are weird. C'mon, nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ending :) Sometimes people surprise you, or sometime they confirm the fact that people are crazy...like the guy I saw today in rubber shoes, sweatpants, sweatshirt, baseball cap...the cap was holding a towel over his head, and he kept bending over and flapping it like wings! You never could see his face....strange!

    ReplyDelete